I went out on a limb here when I realized I was out of diced tomatoes, but this chili turned out to be the perfect combination of flavors!
– 1 lb. ground turkey
– 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
– 2 bell peppers, diced
– 1 small onion, diced
– one 15 oz. can black beans, drained (not rinsed)
– one 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained (not rinsed)
– two 16 oz. jars of mild or medium chunky salsa (could sub one large can of fire roasted diced tomatoes)
– 1 T. cumin
– 1 T. chili powder
-1/2 t. cayenne pepper
– 1/2 t. cinnamon
– salt & pepper, to taste
1. In a large nonstick pot, slightly brown the ground turkey over medium heat, stirring frequently until cooked through.
2. Add the bell pepper, onion, and spices and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
3. Pour in the salsa, black beans, kidney beans, and butternut squash. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
4. Turn the burner to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for approximately 40 minutes, stirring frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom. Check the butternut squash after 40 minutes. Once it is soft, the chili is ready to serve.
5. Serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt or shredded cheddar cheese.