This twist on one of my childhood favorites has become one of my new adult favorites. You still get all of the flavors of the original Sloppy Joe sandwich, but without it coming from a can!
– 1.5 pounds ground turkey
– 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
– 2 red bell peppers, chopped
– 1/4 cup light brown sugar
– 1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
– 1/4 cup hot sauce
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– one 28 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
– one 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
– 12 ounces of wide egg noodles
– salt & pepper
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Break it up with the spoon until it is crumbly and cook until
2. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and onions. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour in the cans of tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and brown sugar. Stir well so everything is combined.
4. Add the egg noodles, pushing them into the sauce so that they are covered. Add water to the pan until they are almost entirely submerged. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low if it comes to a boil. Cook the noodles for 7-8 minutes, or until al dente.